If I may...

Say hello to other friends of the Royal Navy Airship Service!

If I may...

Postby Hinermad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:10 pm

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Dave, a somewhat experienced (some would say "used") embedded software engineer, ham radio operator, and fan of trailing edge technology. (I don't mean trailing edge as "old and useless," I mean it as the wireless aerial on a Zeppelin, a pair of wires that trailed behind the ship. A simple but still useful bit of technology.)

I've been interested in airships since I was very young. Before I entered high school I read all about the Los Angeles, the Shenandoah, the Norge (the first airship to fly over the North Pole), and many other names I'm sure are familiar to the crew of the Flying Cloud. I was surprised to learn that the wreck of the Shenandoah had occurred 50 miles from my home. In my early adult life I was privileged to visit the Spirit of Goodyear blimp as she was docked at an airfield in Columbus, Ohio. She's a sturdy ship, but at 200,000 cubic feet of displacement she's tiny compared to the Flying Cloud. Still, she flies.

I'd like to thank Mr. Gazis and the crew of the Flying Cloud for welcoming me aboard.

Dave
Hinermad

Return to Introductions