A Note Of Intro

Say hello to other friends of the Royal Navy Airship Service!

A Note Of Intro

Postby Pastor_Mac » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:00 am

Hello all-

I am absolutely fascinated with the story ongoing. I'm not sure who linked the Flying Cloud as I read a number of webcomics daily but I'm certain someone at Player vs Player or Rockwood or some such humorous url. Nonetheless, just like Antiques Roadshow, Jenkins & Co. are appointment reading Monday AM before heading off to work.

I'm clergyman with a traditional Anglican church (expect to be ordained to the diaconate this June) but have been ordained in an evangelical denomination and served 4 churches as pastor. That said, I have a day job which is in auto parts. I work for a large dealer group in NE PA and handle large volume bulk sales for about 15 different nameplates. Ford, GM, Mopar, Toyota, Nissan, etc. Need 500 oxygen sensors? I'm your guy.

As you might suspect, I have the typical Eisenhower family--wife (still the first one, almost 21 years), an 18 yo son and a 15 yo daughter. Both kids are remarkably oriented towards science & technology. A lot better future than looking to the lottery.

I'm a US Navy vet who used to run fossil fuel boilers. Snipes we were called. 1250 psi, 975 degree F steam. Virtually all the conventional steam driven ships are now gone and replaced by GE jet engines. Push a button and they start. Where's the fun in that? My time was a 8-10 ft torch, ram it into the firebox, someone else opened the fuel oil feed valve, and prayed you didn't get blown against the opposite boiler when it lit. My time was 1980-85. Guided missile cruiser and a fast frigate. Cruiser was primary air defense in a carrier battle group; frigate was chasing Soviet submarines w/ a passive listening device we towed at about 3 knots. Operators were not normal sonar techs; we had spooks. I understood we could hear a whale pass gas at 50 miles. Soviets were fast but *very noisy*.

Lastly, I still have an amateur radio license, AA8MG. Somehow I managed to read enough 20 wpm code to pass the FCC code test for Extra. Haven't been active in years but am looking to get my 2 meter mobile rig in the car. I see HF rigs are virtually all band now but still mighty steep in price. Always was a hobby for those with disposable income.

That's the very rough 25 cent tour.

Pax,

Pastor Mac
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: A Note Of Intro

Postby Kona » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:17 am

Welcome aboard, Pastor. I wanted to respond to your previous post sooner but it’s been a hectic week, topped off with a killer cold.

We seem to have a lot in common, including an interest in webcomics and an active church life. Also, I enjoyed a storybook romance with my wife of 37 years until she passed away about two years ago. Now a retired Jack of All Trades, I keep busy as a volunteer handyman and caregiver to the elderly.

I was never so glad in my life as when I got my first “apprentice” stripes at the end of boot camp in 1966, and saw they were blue, not red. I liked machinery, but not enough to be a snipe. As it was, I was deemed a “fresh-air snipe”, a Gunner’s Mate on a Gearing class destroyer in the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. Our job was incredibly hard and dangerous, but I pitied the BT’s in the heat of the South China Sea, and thanked the Good Lord I didn’t have to do THAT. Our machinery plant may have been from WW2 but we kept up with those fancy new DLG’s just fine. Those fancy new ships which have now been fish reefs for 20 years. (Sigh)

Like most of my friends, I had a passion for anything with wheels as a kid; go-karts, mini-bikes, motorcycles and eventually cars. Before I left for the Navy, I built a ’58 Chevy Delray, stripped of all trim and painted glossy black, chrome wheels with white interior. Under the hood, as much chrome as a high school student could afford on the 283, three-on-the-tree. We also got our hands on a wrecked “modified hardtop” race car, pounded it into shape and entered it for two seasons in the local circuit. Never won anything, and seldom lasted an entire night, but had a lot of fun. Oval racing was largely unregulated then, and I sometimes wonder why I’m still alive.

I probably would have gotten into ham radio, but being already into boats, cars and reading, I couldn’t do everything. We really need unlimited lifetimes to be able to thoroughly explore every interest. Given the chance, I would have studied electronics more, become a pilot, an engineer and an architect. Maybe one lifetime as just a writer, to see what it’s like to really starve, LOL.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Return to Introductions