Permission to Come Aboard?

Say hello to other friends of the Royal Navy Airship Service!

Permission to Come Aboard?

Postby Ron Andrea » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Though I have been following the Flying Cloud's adventures for more than a year, I just discovered the Forum. :? I notice most activity started--and stopped--in 2010. Is the Forum still active?

By way of introduction, I am retired US Air Force (1968-1998), mostly aircraft maintenance and logistics. My two (tenuous) connections to the storyline are having lived on the central Pacific island of Guam, M.I., in the 1950s, and having been stationed at Langley AFB, VA twice in the 1980s. How does Langley AFB connect? "Although short-lived, hydrogen-filled dirigibles played an important role in Langley's early history and a portion of the base is still referred to as the LTA (lighter-than-air) area." (Wikipedia)

More germane to the storyline, my father was a USAAF combat photographer during World War Two, participating in landings in New Guinea, the Philippines and Okinawa. I grew up hearing his tales of war in the South Pacific. (His view was different, but not incompatible with James Michener's. see Tales of the South Pacific.)
Ron Andrea

Re: Permission to Come Aboard?

Postby PaulGazis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi Ron,

Welcome aboard! The Forum is still active, albeit in a sleepy sort of way. Perhaps it's
time for a membership drive -- for the Forum and also for the Royal Navy Airship Service.
We'd welcome any ideas.

I've only been to Langley in passing, while crossing the US to take a research position at
an entiirely different AFB, but I did spend my time at NASA at the Other airship base:
Moffet Field. I've always wondered how the two compared.
PaulGazis

Re: Permission to Come Aboard?

Postby Ron Andrea » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks.

No clue. Never been to Moffett Field, and there's not much left at Langley other than the name. A few decades ago, you could see the outline of the dirigible hanger.
Ron Andrea

Return to Introductions