Newly Gainfully Unemployed

Or Open Agora, should you happen to be a Classical Greek...

Newly Gainfully Unemployed

Postby Pastor_Mac » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:31 pm

So I'm less than 2 months shy of age 59 and my day job over the past 10 odd yrs has been w/ an auto dealer group. Got called into the office yesterday and told management was restructuring the operation and my position was being eliminated. So now I get to try to go on a job search on the short side of approaching retirement. This is going to be fun.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: Newly Gainfully Unemployed

Postby Kona » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 am

Well that absolutely sucks. I wish I had helpful words to share, other than that you have my sympathy. Been there a ton of times in my 70 years. Usually they dump the most senior employees just before they retire so they don't have to honor their pensions. It's a very evil world. I am surviving on my parent's estate and Social Security, but the future is not secure as the estate will be divided among many relatives soon. I plan to live in my car if necessary. I pray I never have to work for a living again, as every skill I have is obsolete or requires a much younger body. Good luck!
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Pastor_Mac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks for the kind words. As you likely know I'm ordained as an Anglican priest but I have no active parish so hence the need for a day job. I got out of the Navy in 1985 and went to school to finish my undergraduate degree and then off to seminary. My undergrad major was history and an M.Div and an M.A. in theology. After ordination in '94 I served small parishes but grew weary of ecclesiastical politics. That prompted the move to northern NJ in '04. Found a job selling auto parts for a Chrysler dealer and learned the biz. Jumped to a much larger multi-line dealer group 10 yrs ago. The biz is changing and insurance companies are driving the bus. For me, I was selling to a large volume customer that is very low margin compared to collision or mechanical sales. My guess is ownership wants to concentrate on keeping margins higher. But it's a younger man's game these days and my marketable skills are waxing rhapsodic about history, philosophy, and theology. Fast food may be the next step...
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Postby Kona » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:56 pm

Trying not to sound like " you kids get off my lawn!", but in civilizations past we Sages held an honored place in society. We have lived life and learned much of great value. Of course "value" today is only measured in visible income. If nothing else, we have the satisfaction of having lived a fulfilled and meaningful life. And not to get too dogmatic about it, but it's this that gives me confidence in an afterlife. The universe can't possibly let all of this experience go to waste. :D
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Return to Open Forum