Episode 399

Language errors? Here's the place to discuss them!

Episode 399

Postby Olju » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:45 am

Hi, while I’m a reader of The Flying Cloud for a long time, I’m new at this forum. And I’m a nitpicky German typesetter ;)

I know you have no umlauts on your keyboard, but maybe borrow some from your glyph list or copy them here:
  • It’s always "*kapitän" (captain)
  • I suppose it’s Victor Schütze. Maybe Straßer, but Strasser is plausible, too.
  • Gliding bomb: We would never use the participle here. It might be "Gleitbombe" (always with an e at the end). Sounds strange, I don’t know if you had some real device in mind.
  • Aerial torpedo: If you like, you might fit in "Lufttorpedo".
  • Laser/LIVSEN: "Lichtverstärkung durch stimulierte Emissionsstrahlung". Even more German would be "Emissionsstrahlungsverstärker" (ESV?). Typical German old-fashioned/military/legal abbreviations don’t use just capitals, but syllables, like LiSteEs, EmStra. Hm, for a weapon something like "LichtStraVer" might be appropriate, because "StraVer" sounds like "punisher" (Bestrafer).
  • Friedrichshafen in Baden-Württemberg. It was never its capital. But the state/county of B-W didn’t exist at that time, Buchhorn/Friedrichshafen belonged to the Württemberg kingdom (Königreich Württemberg).
  • Kapitänleutnant.
  • Hugo Eckener (not Ekner or Eckner), it you want to use the real name.

That’s all in this episode. Thank you for your story!

Herzliche Grüße & frohe Weihnachten!
Olju Nidislav
Olju

Re: Episode 399

Postby PaulGazis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:45 am

Olju wrote:Hi, while I’m a reader of The Flying Cloud for a long time, I’m new at this forum. And I’m a nitpicky German typesetter ;)

I know you have no umlauts on your keyboard, but maybe borrow some from your glyph list or copy them here:
  • It’s always "*kapitän" (captain)
  • I suppose it’s Victor Schütze. Maybe Straßer, but Strasser is plausible, too.
  • Gliding bomb: We would never use the participle here. It might be "Gleitbombe" (always with an e at the end). Sounds strange, I don’t know if you had some real device in mind.
  • Aerial torpedo: If you like, you might fit in "Lufttorpedo".
  • Laser/LIVSEN: "Lichtverstärkung durch stimulierte Emissionsstrahlung". Even more German would be "Emissionsstrahlungsverstärker" (ESV?). Typical German old-fashioned/military/legal abbreviations don’t use just capitals, but syllables, like LiSteEs, EmStra. Hm, for a weapon something like "LichtStraVer" might be appropriate, because "StraVer" sounds like "punisher" (Bestrafer).
  • Friedrichshafen in Baden-Württemberg. It was never its capital. But the state/county of B-W didn’t exist at that time, Buchhorn/Friedrichshafen belonged to the Württemberg kingdom (Königreich Württemberg).
  • Kapitänleutnant.
  • Hugo Eckener (not Ekner or Eckner), it you want to use the real name.

That’s all in this episode. Thank you for your story!

Herzliche Grüße & frohe Weihnachten!
Olju Nidislav

Thanks, Olju! I posted the revised text this morning. In the end, I decided to keep 'LIVSEN', awkward thought it might seem, because I needed an acronym that was similar to ''LASER', but I made most of the other changes you suggested. I very much appreciate your corrections because getting these things right can be something of a challenge with a text editor that can only handle English spelling. Accents are another challenge -- for a variety of technical reasons, i have to leave these out of the working document and add HTML accent codes to the final draft by hand. Letters like the sharfes S are even tricker (unless I can remember Unicode U+00DF), so I omit these entirely under the assumption that English airmen wouldn't pronounce them properly :)

I'm glad you've been enjoying the saga. Here at the Royal navy Airship Service, we shall strive to maintain standards.
PaulGazis

Postby Olju » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:38 am

Thank you!

"Licht-Verstarkung Stimulierte Enmissionsstralung" is still wrong. German wikipedia has "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" = „Licht-Verstärkung durch stimulierte Emission von Strahlung“ (LIVSES – from where do you get your N?); also the English acronym leaves out particles, otherwise it would be LAbSEoR.

And you still left some instances of Freidrichshafen. (I used to live at Lake Constance, therefore I’m especially picky.)

You know you can encode ß as ß ?

Merry christmas,
Olju
Olju

Postby Hauke » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Two things:
LIVSEN:
It's Emissionsstrahlung (Without the 'n' at the second place)
conciliatory proposal:
LIVSEM:
Licht Verstärkte Stimulierte Emissionsstrahlung

Second:
"Guten tag, mein Herren," he told us. "Welcome to Freidrichshafen."
Tag (lit. day) is a noun and has to be written with a capital T
'Herren' is plural but 'mein' is singular. So it has to be:
"Guten Tag. mein Herr" when addressing a single man and
"Guten Tag, meine Herren" when addressing several men

It's Friedrichshafen
not Freidrichshafen
you switched 'i' and 'e' at the beginning.
Friedrich is a German given name.
see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_(given_name)
Hauke

Postby Mutabilis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:18 am

All this bickering about how to get a good sounding acronym out of a translation of the English phrase, when one could simply quote Albert Einstein (who was the first to predict the phenomenon), and call it "Lichtwellen-Resonator" (lightwave-resonator).
Mutabilis

Postby Olju » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 am

Mutabilis wrote:All this bickering about how to get a good sounding acronym out of a translation of the English phrase, when one could simply quote Albert Einstein (who was the first to predict the phenomenon), and call it "Lichtwellen-Resonator" (lightwave-resonator).

That’s a good name, but doesn’t allow for an acronym similar to LASER. (LiRe is a currency or French reading; LWR is also interesting in this context…)
Olju

Postby Mutabilis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:50 am

Olju wrote:
Mutabilis wrote:All this bickering about how to get a good sounding acronym out of a translation of the English phrase, when one could simply quote Albert Einstein (who was the first to predict the phenomenon), and call it "Lichtwellen-Resonator" (lightwave-resonator).

That’s a good name, but doesn’t allow for an acronym similar to LASER. (LiRe is a currency or French reading; LWR is also interesting in this context…)

LiWeR
Mutabilis

Return to The College of Translators