I So Taupe In Burma

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

I So Taupe In Burma

Postby Pastor_Mac » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:28 am

Getting a tan while on a dig. So it's not particularly oil they're after but the bane of any chemistry/physics student's existence--quantum mechanics. The realization that an element might exhibit radioactivity due to additions or subtractions in the atomic #. We have to guess knowledge of how to separate isotopes is in its infancy but some power, probably the Germans, has realized the strategic value of this seemingly innocuous fact.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: I So Taupe In Burma

Postby Sarge » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:27 am

Moxie! Gah, that stuff tastes like medicine. Where did you discover Moxie? I thought it never left Maine, so how did it wind up in the South Pacific?
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. -Psalm 139
Sarge

Location: Wakefield Massachusetts when I can't be in Harrison Maine

Postby PaulGazis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Moxie, the Sacred Elixir? The First Soda? The One True Soft Drink, of which all other soft drinks are but imperfect shadows? It was invented well before Coca Cola, and was fairly popular up until the Ted Williams era, but every year, Coca Cola increased the amount of sugar in their recipe, and every year, Moxie didn't, leading to the situation we have today. There may be a lesson here somewhere. Alas.

It would certainly have been possible for a bunch of travelers from the States to pack a few cases of Moxie along on a visit to the Pacific back in 1927, but I'll admit that travelers from the Chicago area might have been more likely to drink... brace yourself... Squirt :)
PaulGazis

Postby Pastor_Mac » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:07 am

Having spent a healthy part of my younger childhood in midst of the western 'burbs of Chicago in the late 60s, I distinctly remember Fanta. That said, I suppose you could've inserted Old Style or Hamms w/ equal effect. As an old neighbor once said of Hamms, "I've had a better glass of water before." :D
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Postby yoron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 pm

The only problem I have with this story are those people visiting the nuclear explosion. They should all get radiation sickness, and that is not something that goes away even when the symptoms disappear.
yoron

Postby PaulGazis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:10 am

yoron wrote:The only problem I have with this story are those people visiting the nuclear explosion. They should all get radiation sickness, and that is not something that goes away even when the symptoms disappear.

Your raise a good point. And it is indeed going to be a problem for anyone who spends too much time on the wrong part of the island, particularly since this was a ground burst, which would have made something of a mess. I tried to track down data on residual radioactivity from the Trinity test, which would have been roughly comparable, but it doesn't seem they knew to measure these things back in 1945. Since I believe in being merciful to my characters, no one has had occasion to stay on the island very long, I was careful to arrange things so that the labs and campsites 'just happened' to be upwind of the site of the Device, and visitors have noted that the parts of the island seem to be 'unhealthy' (Professor Nakamura hints at this when he discusses the 'kōmori-ika' in Episode 298).
PaulGazis

Return to The Story