Analog Valves

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

Analog Valves

Postby Pastor_Mac » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:42 am

Here's a link to an article a member of my NJ amateur radio club posted to the club listserv. He's an electrical engineer who keeps up on all this and found this journal. Now I get the "valve" reference in the current adventure. http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogu ... years.html
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: Analog Valves

Postby Kona » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:56 pm

NIce little history there. I spent a number of years in my checkered career as a TV repairman, in the days when consumer electronics were just transitioning to solid state. So I was pretty familiar with the principles of vacuum tubes as well as the British use of the term "valves".
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby phillies » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:17 am

When I was a graduate student, there was an elderly electrical engineering professor long since retired who would sometimes have lunch with us. As a newly graduated engineer, his first design job was for a circuit that used a coherer.
SF Author -- novels Against Three Lands, Minutegirls, Mistress of teh Waves, The One World, more
phillies

Postby Kona » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Made me look. Coherer:

“In a receiver, the current would activate a bell, or a Morse paper tape recorder to make a record of the received signal. The metal filings in the coherer remained conductive after the signal (pulse) ended so that the coherer had to be "decohered" by tapping it with a clapper actuated by an electromagnet, each time a signal was received, thereby restoring the coherer to its original state. Coherers remained in widespread use until about 1907…” -- Wikipedia.

Ye gods! Rube Goldberg would have rejected this idea as being too ridiculous even for him. It’s a wonder sometimes that technology ever advances at all from its first forms before its developers throw up their hands in disgust and go fishing.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby ElvinStrawhat » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Pastor_Mac wrote:Here's a link to an article a member of my NJ amateur radio club posted to the club listserv. He's an electrical engineer who keeps up on all this and found this journal. Now I get the "valve" reference in the current adventure. http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogu ... years.html

Thanks for the link man.
ElvinStrawhat

Postby phillies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:50 am

The coherer is a brilliant innovation, the world's original solid state current control device.
SF Author -- novels Against Three Lands, Minutegirls, Mistress of teh Waves, The One World, more
phillies

Return to The Story