Episode 481

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

Episode 481

Postby phillies » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:12 am

Ah, yes. those most noble people, the esoteric order of Dagon. Perhaps Everett should include it in his report, as needing to be forwarded to another Crown Agency, the Church of England. One of the advantages in this case of their being an established church is that other government agencies, such as the Royal Airship Service, can simply forward information that should be of interest to them through entirely official channels.

At some point we will perhaps determine if Helga is simply a statuesque physically healthy Norwegian, or a Valkyrie come to earth.

In other notes, I am emulating Paul in writing. My latest novel The Girl Who Saved the World, a superhero piece, is now looking for beta readers. Beta readers who can send substantive critiques will get a free copy of the paperback when it came out.
SF Author -- novels Against Three Lands, Minutegirls, Mistress of teh Waves, The One World, more
phillies

Re: Episode 481

Postby Pastor_Mac » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:33 am

Ah, yes. those most noble people, the esoteric order of Dagon.
Dagon was a deity of the Philistines which ancient Israel was expressly prohibited to tolerate. There was a whole set of laws given to Israel during their 40 year journey from Egypt to what was then called Canaan concerning how they were to live in this new land and also how they were to to take possession of it. Indeed, the whole business of living in the "Promised Land" was to eject the then current occupants. It was supposed to be a violent war essentially that of ethnic cleansing as Israel was told not to make treaties or other accommodations. The book of Joshua was the story of the initial foray which showed success but by the end of the book Israel was growing weary of conflict and a desire to simply live with what they had, basically thumbing their nose at the laws they were committed to keep. In I Samuel, war with the Philistines started and Israel carried the Ark of the Covenant into battle, a most egregious violation of the law code, and it was subsequently lost to Philistia and it was placed in the temple of Dagon as a prize. I Samuel 5, however, shows a reversal of fortune as Dagon was found face down before the Ark the next morning and the following morning Dagon's hands were broken off and laying across the threshold of the temple. The Ark was sent back to Israel shortly thereafter.

Perhaps Everett should include it in his report, as needing to be forwarded to another Crown Agency, the Church of England. One of the advantages in this case of their being an established church is that other government agencies, such as the Royal Airship Service, can simply forward information that should be of interest to them through entirely official channels.
Indeed, a state church has some perceived advantages but is often so ossified to be hardly capable of believing & teaching what was supposed to be believed & taught.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: Episode 481

Postby PKO Strany » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:53 am

Indeed, a state church has some perceived advantages but is often so ossified to be hardly capable of believing & teaching what was supposed to be believed & taught.
Pastor Mac

Indeed. Several years ago, an ordained female minister of the American manifestation of the CoE discerned that she could simultaneously profess both the Nicene Creed and the shahada. I am ashamed to say that, when her overseer decided that her discernment was faulty, and stripped her of her benefice (and, I believe, degraded her from the clerical state, soi disant), she was offered a position as a professor at the local outpost of the Society of Jesus.
PKO Strany

Return to The Story