The Game?

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

The Game?

Postby Pastor_Mac » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:11 am

The question from the control car promo asks if the cast of characters truly understand the object of the game. I think that is a good question for us, dear readers of this very fine yarn. We're SWAGing about x, y, z, and sometimes e before i but what's the real meta? Is it simply acquisition of the necessary technology to construct and use the Ujelang Device? Again, my view is there is far more than meets the eye here. We know some characters only as they appear but what do we truly know about their convoluted relationships? As I've pounded the table for several years now, Michaelson may be a senior captain but he's something else besides a simple RNAS line officer. Paul has yet to bring that back story to light. If anything I'd wish this season was more explanatory than action oriented so we get a better handle on all these characters. I'm not Paulie so I don't what he has sketched out already but that's the goal this year to figure out the game.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: The Game?

Postby Kona » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Well, I suppose it’s in Paul’s interests to draw out the story as long as practical; i.e., not stalling the plot advancement to the point that readers lose patience. So we can’t expect to have all the activities and motives of all the cast revealed as we go. Real life doesn’t work that way either, darn it.

As far as the “game” goes, no, I don’t think anybody in the story fully understands the object of the game, or what the entire game even is. Like the blind men and the elephant, each party has a partial concept of what’s going on and what the others are up to, but the whole picture is still a mystery.

The “maguffin”, the critical but elusive Device, wouldn’t seem to me to be the solution to many of the parties’ goals. How would a radical nationalist movement be able to use it to hijack their own government, unless they wanted to move the capital to another city? Even in that case, large areas of their own country would be devastated and their economy would be in ruins for ages. If they intended to use the weapon against their perceived enemies in other countries, I suppose that would make more sense, but it would still not produce the favorable outcome they seek, since their own unsatisfactory government would be reaping the benefit in world power.

Yes, Michaelson is a key element in all this, and he is a mystery worth investigating. However, as strong as his hand is, I don’t think he holds the preponderance of cards in the game. He’s well connected and informed, but he doesn’t know everything. He is in competition with several other elements who have good intelligence and devious conspiracies. There’s the mysterious Karlov, his nemesis (confederate?) Natasha, the Warfields, assorted European and Asian nationalist groups, and probably several competing factions within the British government and military itself. Throw in various fortune seekers, pirates, loose cannons and eccentric professors, and you have all the elements of a vast chaotic system adding up to The Game. How could anyone know what it’s all about?
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Pastor_Mac » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:00 am

I'm watching at this time of writing ST:Discovery S2:E2. Jonathan Frakes is the director, btw. The story arc of S1 was an accidental war w/ the Klingons (Make Klingon great again!) which actually led to realize the Discovery captain wasn't really the captain. Many things seemed, well, out of place from the traditional Trek universe and canon. Much like FC. Much was written against ST:D but I decided to simply watch & enjoy it.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Postby Kona » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Pastor_Mac wrote:the Discovery captain wasn't really the captain.

Don't give Paul ideas! The plot is convoluted enough. :D
Kona

Postby PaulGazis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Kona wrote:
Pastor_Mac wrote:the Discovery captain wasn't really the captain.

Don't give Paul ideas! The plot is convoluted enough. :D

Oh well, I guess I'll have to abandon my plan of having Michaelson turn out to be Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester in disguise, studying up for his future term as Governor-General of Australia :)

But there will indeed be some revelations. For as you've all noted, it's time to start drawing some of the threads together. Stay tuned...
PaulGazis

Postby Kona » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Actually, that wouldn't have been a bad plot twist. It would explain how "Michaelson" is so well-connected politically and has so much clout in British intelligence. But I doubt it would mesh with his supposed shared history with Lady Warfield. :?
Kona

Postby JimLeCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 pm

My best guess is that Lady Warfield is Michaelson's sister, and Everett was the friend he fell out with when Everett and she got engaged.

Of course, I'm probably completely wrong! ;^D
JimLeCat

Postby Kona » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:57 pm

JimLeCat wrote:My best guess is that Lady Warfield is Michaelson's sister, and Everett was the friend he fell out with when Everett and she got engaged.

I don't have time to do an archive dive right now, but I seem to recall from early on that L.W. had been at least romantically involved with, if not in fact married to, both Everett and Michaelson. But either scenario would explain the men's sense of rivalry. However, considering her combative inclinations and Borgia-level scheming, I'd say they both dodged a bullet.
Kona

Return to The Story