Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

Postby xoxoxoBruce » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:30 am

Paul, I've enjoyed your story line immensely, even gone back and read from the beginning. But I dawned on me tonight what a tremendous amount of research you must do to keep everything plausible. Kudos sir, and thank you.
xoxoxoBruce

Re: #433

Postby Kona » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Indeed, I'll add my compliments as well. I've followed a webcomic for years that has generated a lot of fan traffic, and one of the favorite sports of its forum members is finding plot holes. It's occurred to me to mention that real life is often full of "plot holes", things so implausible that "were this played upon a stage, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction!" (Shakespeare, 12th Night). At the same time, creating an airtight fictional universe would require godlike omniscience, far beyond the abilities of any mortal. Add to that the special difficulties of alternate history, in which an exhaustive knowledge of actual history must be mastered to ward off all "Gotchas". That there has been so little complaint from Paul's historically and technically-minded fans, is a credit to his considerable research for his story.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Pastor_Mac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 am

"Plot holes? Plot holes? We don't need no stinking plot holes!" There's no plot holes that a Tardis can't fix... :lol:
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Postby PaulGazis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 am

Thank you all for the compliments! I'm glad to know the effort is appreciated! The research is also a terrific amount of fun -- who would have guessed that Somerset Maugham visited Thursday Island? But as I track down these tidbits of information, I often feel as if I'm stumbling upon the footsteps of the Ancient Masters. I'll spend hours poking through obscure entries in Wikipedia, travel essays, accounts of airship operations, or old almanacs I found in used book stores, only to discover that someone like Lovecraft, Kipling, Conrad, or Jack London already used what I thought was a strikingly original bit about Burma. How did they do it? They couldn't sit back with a cup of tea and search the web. They had to go out and search for original sources they might even have known existed when they began. We must stand in awe of their accomplishments.

And we shall do our best to maintain standards!
PaulGazis

Postby Kona » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 pm

No television, video games, social media, texting and sexting; young people spent time in libraries, devouring information relentlessly. Then they wrote great books about what they had learned before they got too old to remember any of it. Now where did I put my glasses, dammit?
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Return to The Story