Who stole the 'Viking Girl'?

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

Who stole the 'Viking Girl'?

Postby PaulGazis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:46 am

With only a hundred million or so people living in or near the South Pacific -- not counting any minions of any Elder Gods who filtered down from the stars before the dawn of time and will return when the stars are right to sweep the Earth clean of humanity who might be living under it -- there are only a limited number of possibilities. Any guesses?
PaulGazis

Re: Who stole the 'Viking Girl'?

Postby Kona » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:59 am

Well, since the author himself is asking the readership to provide spoilers, I suppose it’s no sin to do so. I would connect the dots thus:

Episode 449: “But we'll still need the ore. May I ask where we will find this, sir? The Germans control the supply."

"Not all of the supply, Saito-san," the Commander said with a smile. "The gaijin overlooked one source. I have a job for you."

Episode 451: …what remained of the cargo, an unprepossessing load of some greenish-black ore, was awash in a year's worth of rainwater…

Episode 454: These were quite obviously Asians, with neatly cropped hair and stern uncompromising features.

So unless I’m overlooking a particularly subtle clue, the evidence pretty clearly points to the emergent Japanese nationalists. The irony that the country which was actually subjected to the first nuclear attack being the one in the R-505 timeline to attempt to possess the technology is not lost on this reader.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Pastor_Mac » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:27 am

It appears Kona has provided a correct analysis. With that said, I would also proffer our dear Captain will likely face some very stiff questioning for taking note of the ore on his survey of the hulk but does not make an immediate report of that fact. Or has the ore been linked to the refining process yet?
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Postby Kona » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Well, it’s now canon that the Japanese nicked the Viking Girl, but the mystery now becomes, who made it moot by sending the Japanese tug and the ore to the bottom? We know Fuller of the British Union is in command of the submarine (which is being uniquely effective for a K Class) but how did this faction happen to arrive at this particular juncture? Did they know what was aboard the Viking Girl, and what possession of the ore might mean to the balance of power in the world?

We can assume that the Warfields are the hand in the British Union sock puppet, but one would expect arch villains like them to want to capture the ore themselves rather than… oh never mind, they obviously have their own source and are trying to prevent a competing power from having any. It won’t work, of course, as once people know what to look for, they’ll start finding it in many places. That genie is bound to get out of the bottle eventually.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Return to The Story