Girls Day Out or Clarice & Emily's Excellent Adventure

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

Girls Day Out or Clarice & Emily's Excellent Adventure

Postby Pastor_Mac » Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 am

And the Germans' Very, Very, Horrible Day. It seems by the late 20s self-starting would be fairly standard in most standard models. I know Ford had it w/ the advent of the A. But Clarice learns how to dump the clutch. Way cool.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: Girls Day Out or Clarice & Emily's Excellent Adventure

Postby Kona » Mon May 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Way cool indeed. I may have pop-started my car more often than not in my many days of driving beaters. I had a '64 MGB that broke starter drives so often I simply got used to parking it on the hills near my home and work. Now 10 years since I last shifted a standard transmission; seems so long ago. :/
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Pastor_Mac » Mon May 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Indeed. My son bought a Ford Focus ST which is some sort of performance enhanced car. Apparently only comes w/ a stick. People say it's fast. I've been used to a manual for yrs, although I gave it up when my wife just couldn't figure out how to push in a clutch before shifting. Thing is, the multi speed automatics out now are so well programmed that they are better for fuel mileage than the direct drive manuals. The powertrain module senses when to shift much faster than the driver and also has a wider range of gear options based on the array of inputs. Kinda takes the fun out of the driving...
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Postby Kona » Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

You know you're officially old when just getting there takes priority over "fun". That, and rowing a manual 6-speed through LA freeway traffic just doesn't deliver the same thrill. My first wife and I taught our daughters to drive on manuals, and our younger one was such a snob about it she insisted on one for the only new car she bought, even though it had to be special ordered (!). I get a chuckle out of the photo of a stick shift captioned "anti-theft device".

So extra kudos to Clarice and Emily for having the skillset to manage a technology that had only existed for a handful of years. That maneuver would have confounded 90% of the male population at the height of its ubiquity.
Kona

Postby phillies » Sat May 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Kona:

Rowing? Is California having another Arkstorm? I once attempted to start a car with a manual transmission and back it out of a driveway. I failed. The driveway was very slightly tilted, so I kept losing ground every time I stalled the engine. I have since taken to referring to clutch-pedal free transmissions as "standard" and clutch-pedal-cursed transmissions as "manual".

Mind you, as a little boy I was taken for a ride in a real automobile. Not only did it have a clutch pedal and a choke, it had a spark adjust and a steering tiller. Most readers here have seen a spark adjust. One was used as the controlled for the electrical defenses on Captain Nemo's Nautilus in the 1950s Walt DisneyFilm. It also did not look like a modern car. It looked more like a giant flowerpot on top of oversize baby buggy wheels. Car design has changed a bit since 1902 (iirc).

Best,

George
phillies

Postby Kona » Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 pm

I use "rowing" in the figurative sense, although "sculling" is probably closer, using one oar in constant motion.

Pop-starting in reverse is extra difficult because of the low gear ratio. Going forward, I always tried to use third; high gear sometimes took awhile to spin the engine fast enough. Then on a curving driveway, you need the backing skills of a Mater. (Disney Cars reference)

Model T's were still around as daily drivers for some people in Fresno in the early 1950's. Well I remember the need to adjust the spark lever. Fortunately, I never had to master it myself, although I liked the (Toyota?) model that provided the driver an option to adjust the spark advance for quality of gas and driving conditions.
Kona

Return to The Story