Ep 480

Questions, answers, comments, and ideas about the story.

Ep 480

Postby Pastor_Mac » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:20 pm

So we now have the unfolding of the actual events described last week w/ a tantalizing tease from dear Paul asking how Clarice & Emily figured out how to cause such mayhem. A most interesting question that I cannot speculate too much other than their Aunts seem far, far too trained to be mere salvage experts.
Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: Ep 480

Postby Kona » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:05 pm

A fun speculation, that. I would conjecture that New Englanders didn’t have a monopoly on “Yankee ingenuity”. The necessity of invention lives everywhere, especially in the frontier areas of the world like the Australia of the past century. The most successful people are the most adaptable, and the most adaptable and inventive, in my observation, are salvage workers. I have studied the science of salvage, and found it to be most demanding of multiple trades, skills and resourcefulness. It would not surprise me too much to find young women used to the rigors and inventiveness of salvage work to make up a “special forces” arm of the Royal Navy Signals Corps.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby phillies » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm sorry to be a bit slow, but what was the arrangement of rails that let them turn a getaway into a collision?
SF Author -- novels Against Three Lands, Minutegirls, Mistress of teh Waves, The One World, more
phillies

Postby Kona » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:01 pm

I’m visualizing from the description a long “balloon loop” at the end of the line. Kind of rare among railroads, because it used quite a bit of space and was only suitable for relatively short trains. Most railroads preferred the “wye” arrangement to turn around, or just a turntable and bypass track to send the locomotive to the other end.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby phillies » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:41 pm

How can the two young ladies be so effective at spreading chaos? Clearly, they are avatars of the dread lord Azathoth.
SF Author -- novels Against Three Lands, Minutegirls, Mistress of teh Waves, The One World, more
phillies

Postby PaulGazis » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 am

..but are they Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, or Chaotic Evil? :)
PaulGazis

Postby phillies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:14 am

Clearly, one of them is Chaotic Lawful, and the other is Lawful Chaotic.
phillies

Return to The Story