date and position ...

The world of the 'Flying Cloud', our world, and worlds that might have been.

Re: date and position ...

Postby Mutabilis » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 am

PaulGazis wrote: These things can be surprisingly
hard to catch during proofreading, darn it!

well, that's why fanfic sites insist on the use of "beta-readers". the idea being that someone else will spot errors easier than the author her/himself.

but i would say, unless the beta would have gone to the trouble of looking up moonphases, she/he would prolly have missed it too.

on a side-note:

the exact time of the full moon on november 19 is 16:21 GMT. that would be november 20, 02:21 eastern australian time (EAT).
wouldn't a civilian calendar printed in australia would therefore place full moon one day later?
a navigator, which knowledge of such events would come from the nautical almanac, would know exactly about such things. so the answer given in the story would be correct. (unless we have someone who's really into details, in which case the answer would have been "almost two days since full" or even "thirty eight hours since full")
Mutabilis

Postby PaulGazis » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Mutabilis wrote:...but i would say, unless the beta would have gone to the trouble of looking up moonphases, she/he would prolly have missed it too.

I suspect we got our table of moon phases from the same source :) And you're right about the International Date line. The superb skills and careful attention to detail of the Beta Testers is one of the things that makes this saga so rewarding. Thanks!

As far as the timeline goes, keep in mind that we must account for the time it took the R-87 to return to Cairns, Miss Perkins to complete her investigations, the R-505 to be moved out of the shed, etc., so this was actually the October full moon, and the sequence of events is approximately.

Night of 19-Oct-1926 - Lieutenant Blacker absconds with the dispatches. Also the night of the landslide.

Morning of 20-Oct - The R-87 returns to Cairns. Meanwhile, down in Agnes Water, the hapless Derby saddles his horse, rides west, and discovers the slide. That evening, Welch sends his shortwave message to Cairns.

20-22 Oct - Miss Perkins completes her investigation. Yes, she's fast and efficient. Sometime during this interval, we must hope that Iverson and Sarah went out for a walk to enjoy the full moon.

22-Oct - Captain Everett nips on over to the Cairns Cyclery to buy a motorcycle. He's fast and efficient too.

Morning of 23-Oct - The R-505 is moved out of the shed, takes on fuel and supplies (including one handy motorcycle) and sets out for what will become a somewhat abbreviated post-overhaul acceptance flight.

Afternoon and evening of 23-Oct - The R-505 is ordered back to Cairns, picks up Miss Perkins, and heads south.

Night of 23-Oct - Iverson and Jenkins arrive at Mount Tom by Transporter. Klunk!

24-Oct - The events of the latest episode.

There should be a log entry coming up soon to nail some of this down. But I still wonder who these Tom and Agnes people were and why they had towns named after them. Were they a couple? Did they have a big breakup and go their separate ways while he kept that mountain and she got custody of the water? Life is full of mysteries...
PaulGazis

Postby Mutabilis » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm

the october full moon is on 21st, 05:15 greenwich (15:15 EAT).

when the flying cloud goes on it's journey it's said it being two days past full (moon).

that would make the day of departure the 23rd as you say.

Captain Everett summarizes their orders as:
Episode 104 wrote:"We've been ordered to investigate a place called Agnes Water, where an amateur radio operator reported seeing a man descend by parachute two days ago. That would be around the time of the storm."

that would date the paracute jump in the full moon night.

my table of moonphases is calculated by a program i picked up some time ago. the program also calculates ephemerides tables for the planets.
far as i know the times are never off more than a minute from sidereal positions, which might just be rounding errors.

ähm, and where did i mention the international dateline?
Mutabilis

Postby PaulGazis » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 am

Tah dah! Now you have your answers :)

Finally, after six episodes, a plausible excuse for a log entry! It can be hard to work these
things in. Though I'll have to double-check that position for typos. It's supposed to be
midway between Bundaberg and Mount Tom, but it's way easy to get those wrong. I'd
check it now, but drawing that darn Transporter Room was exhausting.

In case you're wondering how they got the bike aboard, there's a door behind the platform
that leads to the cargo bay. As to why it's not visible in the graphic... well... um... err...
let's just pretend the hinge lines are hidden by those I-beams...
PaulGazis

Previous

Return to The World