The Great Old Ones Competition

The world of the 'Flying Cloud', our world, and worlds that might have been.

The Great Old Ones Competition

Postby PaulGazis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Episode054_Detail.jpg
Detail from Episode 54
Episode054_Detail.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 4252 times

Astute readers -- and every reader of The Flying Cloud is astute -- may have noticed the occasional reference to Elder Gods From Before Time. Just how many references are there, and in which episodes do they appear? To tell the truth, I’m not entirely sure I know the answer myself, so the Signal Corps of the Royal Navy Airship Service has now announced the Great One Ones Competition. The first person to locate, identify, and post every reference to Elder Gods prior to Episode 60 will receive awe, envy, and respect!
PaulGazis

Re: The Great Old Ones Competition

Postby miles » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:12 am

Well, this topic has been up for 2 months with no takers. I expect that for most of you the references are so obvious, pointing them out would be bad form. But somebody needs to get this party started. I figure my form is already so poor, nothing could make it worse.

I hope you'll forgive me for dwelling on the obvious. Here are the first 3 things to catch my eye.

1) The first image: A picture of a giant, flying fish-head.

It is possible to miss the obvious symbolism. For example, William Fulwiler felt that the Fish-head illustrates that Lovecraft was influenced by Irvin S. Cobb's "Fishhead", a story about a strange fish-like human. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon_%28short_story%29 and S. T. Joshi and David E. Schultz, "Dagon", An H. P. Lovecraft Encyclopedia, p. 58.

The truth is much more straightforward. This is a clear reference to that beloved 'Change of Epoch' allegory: Zardoz http://www.cclapcenter.com/2008/01/movi ... ardoz.html
As all schoolchildren know, Zardoz is an allegory of the period of flux when the timelessness of the Great Old Ones ended and Life as We Know It began. The 'Eternals' represented the unchanging, Great Old Ones. Their Reign is ended by symbols of Change: Life, Reproduction, and Death. Just as Zardoz began with a potent symbol of the time to come: A giant, flying Human Head; so Flying Cloud begins with the glorious symbol of the the harbinger of the Great Old Ones: The Flying Head of Dagon.

2) First line. Words 1 and 2: "I believe"

The core of Lovecraftian horror is the eternal truth that every Silver Lining has a great big thundering cloud. If Belief and directed action have any power to influence and change, then surely, it must create both good and evil, light and dark. What if, at the end of some possible dream or future lie darkness so deep that it overwhelms all possible light. This is just the unavoidable application of WILL plus the 2nd law of thermodynamics. This darkness, once manifest must inevitably triumph over all worlds and all futures. This is the final entropic consequence of belief. This IS The Great Old Ones.

3) First line. Words 3 thru 6: "..we're going to die"

As Snibblefritz points out in his monumental 14 volume magnum opus: The Once, and Future Cthulhu (v3 pg485) "We Are Going To Die is the heart, the essence of worshiping the Great Old Ones."

Again, I apologize for belaboring the obvious. I will try to find something subtle for the next post.

Miles
miles

Postby miles » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:00 am

Lords of the Nair

Really. I hear the bells.
The echo ethernal lies.

Haster. Go Faster.

Me Go. We go. All go.

Kath's loo.

End Day!
Inness Full!
Tag Tock,
Times UP!

Full Days Inn.
Full Tag Inn!
Full Tag INN!
FULL Tag INN!
FULL TAG INN!
FULL TAG INN!
FULL TAG INN!
FULL TAG INN!
FULL TAG INN!
FULL TAG IN!
FULL TAG IN!
FULL TAG IN!

FuLLTAGIN!
FooL TAGiN!
F' TAGinN!
F'TAG'N!
fhtagn
miles

Postby PaulGazis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

I must admit that the 'squidbats' on the flagpoles in Episode 54 were rather obvious. But it took
quite a few tries to come up with that "Fanny Glee McGlew Naps Cath Hulu..." graphiti in
Episode 58. So far, no one's commented on two little cthulus running away from the aborigines
in the cave painting on the left in Episode 64.

My favorites are still the 'lullabies about dear old Dagon his wonderful fishy friends' from Episode 7
and the nursery rhyme in Episode 9. And there are plenty more...
PaulGazis

Postby asgaard aardvaark » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm

As per Ep. 7, weren't the Tcho-Tcho tribe living on the "Plateau of Leng", somewhere in China? How did they get to Melanesia? :?
asgaard aardvaark

Postby asgaard aardvaark » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:13 am

Well, I’m always up for a challenge and as you can see from my intro, I’m a professional nit-picker soooo--let’s have a go at it.
8-)
First: ep-6--"That’s what I thought as well. Here the musician claps his instruments together and here they’ve all gathered under this enormous tree around what appear to be bonfires. But I’m puzzled by these figures here. Could they be meant to represent costumes?"
"I imagine you're right, sir. Surely no one could be so horribly disfigured. And this fellow here looks like he has six or seven fingers."

ep-7--"My father was chief of the Tcho-tcho tribe,"

"Well, my father’s tribe used to worship the Great Old Ones, who filtered down from the stars in distant eons and now lie dreaming in a great stone city beneath the waves, waiting until the stars are right for their return. I remember how Grandma used to sing me to sleep with lullabies about dear old Dagon his wonderful fishy friends.”

ep-8--I’m suspicious about Sarah’s “fish earrings”.

ep-9--“Migo tribe."
"That was the last time the Migos ever came to visit,"

"Ubbo-Sathla, Ubbo-Sathla
Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?
Sonnez les matines! Sonnez les matines!
Ding, dong, ding. Ding, dong, ding."

ep-12--"How old is that tooloo in the rilyay?
The one with the waggley nose!
How old is that tooloo in the rilyay?
I wish that its time would get close!"
(this one’s too obvious)

ep-15--Sarah’s earrings again.

ep-20--“...the ruin they’d seen on that nameless island in New Caledonia. Worn and weathered, its carvings had appeared to depict some sort of ceremony, where a strange musician clashed a pair of cymbals beneath a gigantic tree. The Tree of Life, perhaps? According to Frazer, this symbol was common to most of the world’s religions. It had seemed idyllic -- and innocent token of some forgotten age -- but disturbing as well. What, he wondered, was the significance of the bonfires? And why had some of the figures seemed so deformed?”

ep-25--“Sunken Rilyay, here I come!
Right back where I started from!
So open up that Elder Gate
Sunken Rilyay, here I come!”
(Again, obvious)

ep-28--"One shelf held a row of curios: star-shaped stones, some scraps of parchment written in Arabic, a statue of some droll froglike god with a face like an octopus.”

ep-30--“the Stones of Sorrow the Elder Gods used to fashion the Instruments of Joy."
"Stones?" "Gods?" ...magical beings from beyond the stars. It was all very sweet. ...they mined some special ore to create enchanted musical instruments that had all sorts of powers.”

ep-37--“...a very rare Arabic manuscript that would have fetched a nice price in certain places I know,”

ep-40--Is it just me, or is the name, “Tualua’s Dream” suspicious?

ep-45--“...old ruin, the Temple of the Old Ones, near where you crashed.”

ep-47--“In a place like this, Sarah’s tales of Elder Gods no longer seemed so implausible.”

ep-49--Sarah’s earrings again. (but no description)

ep-54--The “squidbats” on the poles was almost too obvious.

ep-58--“Fanny Glee McGlew Naps Cath Hulu
Really A Wagon A Gulf Tag Inn!”
(this one’s almost too easy)

ep-59--“Old Ones Brewery”.
:ugeek:
Now, all bow down before my mighty intellect!
asgaard aardvaark

Postby asgaard aardvaark » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:19 am

So far, no one's commented on two little cthulus running away from the aborigines
in the cave painting on the left in Episode 64.

Well, the contest was for episodes prior to ep-60. :?
asgaard aardvaark

Postby PaulGazis » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:08 pm

I believe you've found all but one of them, AA! Congratulations! You are now the official winner of the Great Old Ones Competition! I didn't think anyone would spot the 'very rare Arabic manuscript' in Episode 37.

P.S. The one remaining reference is so obscure that I'm not sure it counts. I imagine I'll be able to get away with it for the rest of Season Two...
PaulGazis

Postby asgaard aardvaark » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:26 am

Oh-ho! The gauntlet has been flung--one more obscure reference eh? Just remember QA rules! :twisted:
asgaard aardvaark

Return to The World