The play

The world of the 'Flying Cloud', our world, and worlds that might have been.

Re: The play

Postby Mutabilis » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:33 pm

yes, it's called "sound effect samples" or was last time i looked.

in my youth i had a vinyl album with four or five records full of short clips. i got it somewhere on a flee market.

though i doubt there will be many quality samples available for free.
Mutabilis

Postby ASoriano » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Mutabilis wrote:yes, it's called "sound effect samples" or was last time i looked.

in my youth i had a vinyl album with four or five records full of short clips. i got it somewhere on a flee market.

You make it sound like your youth was a while ago. :P
ASoriano

Postby peterh » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:39 pm

No, that was me. <insert bearded wrinkly smiley with maniacal grin>
Mind you, when you're 26, you'll refer to 10 years ago as "in my youth". Me, I'll refer to "in my youth" to the moment when I was 26. ;)

You don't need to be very old to have found vinyl on a flea market in your youth, really.
Don't panic... we're on the Titanic.
peterh

Postby Mutabilis » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:45 pm

ASoriano wrote:You make it sound like your youth was a while ago. :P

yeah well, it was when i dated archimedes in school that i became enthralled in engineering.
Mutabilis

Postby katem » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:41 am

Mutabilis wrote:yes, it's called "sound effect samples" or was last time i looked.

There are a large number of sound effect sites online that one can download from for free, and some are pretty good quality. I'd be more than willing to assemble a bunch of samples off of them if needed.
katem

Postby PaulGazis » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 am

We'll definitely have to give this a try! The questions would seem to be 1) Who
will be the voices, 2) How can we handle the production, and 3) do we adapt one
of the episodes or try to produce an entirely new script? Opinons, anyone?

From a practical standpoint, I'm in the middle of preparing for an apartment move
right now, so it's taking most of my limited amount of free time to keep the regular
series on schedule. But once I'm moved in and unpacked...
PaulGazis

Postby katem » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Well, you could hold "auditions" - have folks post who they would be interested in playing and submit a short recording of their voice, then assemble a cast. People who can convincingly alter their voice and not sound too silly doing so would be invaluable for any double-casting that might have to happen, depending on the script. As for the script, adapting would seem simpler, since the story is already well suited to the format anyway, but an original story would be equally fun.

Someone more tech-savvy than me will have to figure out the production. :)
katem

Postby Clephan Reid » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 am

Is this a dead issue? I think a radio style production would be pretty damn cool.

It should be the regular story rewritten as a play. Lines are altered so that the characters speak some of the action and the rest is given by the narrator.

Sound effects can always be added during editing.

The tricky part is not just getting people with the right voices for the characters, but getting them in the right environment. You could have the actors record their lines as mp3 files and copy and paste them as needed, but then you wouldn't have the actors playing off on one another.
Clephan Reid

Postby PaulGazis » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:29 am

Clephan Reid wrote:Is this a dead issue? I think a radio style production would be pretty damn cool...

I quite agree. I just haven't had the time to turn any part of the story into a screenplay -- this is one of those things one wouldn't want to spoil by doing a half-Equus-africanused job. But one neat thing about web-based productions is that one can always give these things another go if the first one doesn't pan out. Are folks still interested?
PaulGazis

Postby Jupiter » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 am

would be really interested to see this happen, and if possible contribute. If you need Dutch voices, let me know! :P
Jupiter

Previous

Return to The World