The play

The world of the 'Flying Cloud', our world, and worlds that might have been.

Re: The play

Postby PaulGazis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 am

This could be a neat project! I'd often fantasized about putting together an episode of
a real Flying Cloud radio drama. We'd need to come up with a script, find the right
equipment, get someone to do the mixing and editing... hmm...
PaulGazis

Postby Mutabilis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:17 pm

well, doing the story as audio book would be an option, too.
Mutabilis

Postby peterh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:05 pm

ehm...

*But i want it to be a radio dramaaaaaaa!*
Don't panic... we're on the Titanic.
peterh

Postby chesapeakegunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:33 am

As do I!
How brave the Frenchmen are, throwing themselves into the sea, unlike those cowardly English, who cling to their ships!
chesapeakegunner

Postby Kona » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Having, as they say, a face for radio, I would favor any medium that doesn't require inflicting my appearance on anyone. But what a shame to relegate our own heroically formed Helga to merely her voice, however Wagnerian it may be!

;) @ mutabilis
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby peterh » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Kona wrote:Having, as they say, a face for radio

Hey, that's my line! ;)
Literally... I often say I have 'radio looks'. I leave it up to you to chime in with your acknowledgements. :twisted:

Some say I also have a radio voice'.
I'm not sure if that means that, if my voice, instead of right next to them in person, would be on the radio, they could at least select another station... ;)
peterh

Postby Kona » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Methinks we are all suffering from a bit of excess modesty. Odds are we are not THAT hard to look at.

Be that as it may, I’m sure most of us share an affinity for the steam-y “Girl Genius”, produced by the estimable Studio Foglio. That worthy enterprise has given us a precedent; a model, if you will; of live Olde Tyme Radio Broadcasts. Of course, SF has built quite a self-sustaining industry over the years, as well as attracting a number of fans, employees or minions who assist with a lot of the details of these broadcasts. I know Paul G. has to keep his day job, as I expect most of the rest of us do, so our own production might bear a somewhat unpolished appearance. But it sounds like fun anyway.
Kona

Postby peterh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Kona wrote:Methinks we are all suffering from a bit of excess modesty. Odds are we are not THAT hard to look at.

Ha, speak for yourself. You even agreed with me... when you saluted my boldness after I posted my picture, adding to it that forum members' picture threads are mostly populated by the young or the beautiful, thereby implying that I belong to neither group. ;)

Which is fine by me; I know you're right. I am aware that I have the looks that suggest that The Endearing Smile is not in my repertoire. The Cold Hard Glance (as demonstrated in the pic), however, is my opus magnum, and my Thousand Yard Stare works pretty well too.
And to add insult to injury, I am capable of raising one eyebrow. And not while pulling the rest of my face in some contorted frown, but just like Sir Roger Moore, without any other change whatsoever in the facial expression. You have no idea what this does for your capacity to convey disdain in a subdued, understated, and very (dare I say it? ... yes, I do) English way.

All of this will certainly not help when it comes to wooing the sultry island maidens, but then again, at well over 50, I might as well admit to myself that I am way past the point of wooing sultry island maidens anyway.
So there.

:mrgreen:
peterh

Postby Kona » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:36 am

peterh wrote:Ha, speak for yourself. You even agreed with me... when you saluted my boldness after I posted my picture, adding to it that forum members' picture threads are mostly populated by the young or the beautiful, thereby implying that I belong to neither group. ;)

Oh dear. I believe we may have wandered a bit from the topic.

Just to set the record straight, I in no way meant to imply that you are not photogenic. Neither do I limit that quality to the young or superficially beautiful. Your self-portrait exhibits strength and wisdom, Spockian intelligence and seriousness, yet with a sense of humor in the eyes. People our age have seen the world, lived through good and hard times, loved much, suffered much. A good portrait reveals the inner person, and all people contain volumes of character, good and bad, waiting to be brought to light in a vulnerable instant.

You, Sir, have taken an excellent picture.
Kona

Postby peterh » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:16 pm

While I think it is indeed a fairly well-taken picture (there was some wizardry involved in the making of it), your description makes me wonder if we're looking at the same photo. I don't see the wisdom bit in that picture, and I utterly fail to see the humour in the eyes. I have been called a master of Deadpan Delivery.

But back on topic.

While I was suggesting to make it a radio drama rather than a stage play or even a screenplay, I found that I was actually wondering if it would be doable for a bunch of dilettantes like us without too much time on our hands. The sheer volume of scenes involved and the lenght of the story make it a aunting task. I think it would ONLY be doable if we would have access to the audio version of an image library. You know... a library of sound samles of sea on the shore, a ship, a harbour, a bar interior, the rush of water being ejected from a ballast tank, the equivalent of wind blowing through a damaged airship... that sort of stuff.

Do audio libraries like that exist at all?

The voices, the accents, the foreign languages, the narration even... all that is doable between us. But the sound effects (foleys) would kill us.
peterh

PreviousNext

Return to The World