Reactions

Is there something you love, something you hate, something you'd like to see? Here's the place to bring it up. And don't forget that Infamous Green Marine.

Reactions

Postby stratplans » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:42 am

Sharp! (I believe I felt a drop. :) )
stratplans

Re: Reactions

Postby PaulGazis » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:57 pm

That graphic for [url="http://airships.paulgazis.com/056/FlyingCloud056.htm"]Episode 56[/url] was fun :) And judging from the emails I've received, it seems that quite a few people liked it. I'm tempted to put the image on a t-shirt. Would people be interested? Would you prefer it with or without the ballast drop? And... what would you suggest for a caption?
Episode056_SketchH_250.jpg
Ballast drop. So many captions are possible!
Episode056_SketchH_250.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Attachments
Episode056_SketchG_250.jpg
No ballast drop. Less interesting, but cleaner, in many senses on the word.
Episode056_SketchG_250.jpg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
PaulGazis

Postby e of pi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:23 am

I'm not sure which version I like better. All I can say is that it's been my desktop since you released it on the comics page. Sure, blowing it up on my two monitors makes it a tad pixelated, but airships as cool as R505 can survive that. This really is one of my favorite angles you've done of the ship, a very dynamic veiwpoint than gives a good shot of the belly of the ship, like you're looking up at it from the ground as it soars overhead. It has a great dimensionality to it.

As to whether I like it better with or without the ballast drop...I'm not sure., Without it, it seems a bit static, but the drop does clutter things up a little. I'm not sure what other way there could be to keep it looking dynamic without the dump, but I think you can come up with something. Either way, it's really a beauty, gives a feeling of the majesty of these giants as well as a view of the ship we haven't had yet. In the side-on views, I never really got a feeling for the interior layout of the ship, but here with the hatches and stuff visible, it feels more real somehow.

I kind of wish you'd release a version with a bit higher resolution that would scale up better as a desktop, though. The way the ship is turned, it nestles between my icons on the left and my chat windows on the right when I look at my desktop, and the whole image has a really nice cheery color to it with the sort of off-grey ship against the blue sky.
e of pi

Postby Kona » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:19 pm

It was an interesting and illustrative graphic for the story; not sure how well it would play out on a t-shirt. Not as dramatic as the 1st episode picture, or as informative as the profile drawing.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby PaulGazis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:40 am

A Wallpaper? What an intriguing idea! I've been thinking of doing one for some time based on the design sketch I posted in the 'About' section, but the Episode 56 graphic might work much better. And I do have versions at significantly higher resolution. I'll start experimenting to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the excellent suggestion!

I'm tempted to see how it would look with the Transporter in operation :)
PaulGazis

Return to The Art