Great Art... and Some of the Mundane Variety

Is there something you love, something you hate, something you'd like to see? Here's the place to bring it up. And don't forget that Infamous Green Marine.

Great Art... and Some of the Mundane Variety

Postby PaulGazis » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:26 am

I hadn't originally intended to include those graphics. But Miss Young insisted, and by now it would be difficult to imagine the Flying Cloud without them. They may not all be masterpieces -- indeed, it's arguable whether any of them are masterpieces at all -- and they do include that Infamous Green Marine. But everyone seems to agree that they do help illustrate parts of the story. This raises the all-important question...

What would You like to see illustrated?

If you have any specific requests. Or general requests. Or comments. Or suggestions. This is the place to post them. And the Royal Navy Airship Service is always on the lookout for guest art, images, and graphics.
PaulGazis

Re: Great Art... and Some of the Mundane Variety

Postby peterh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm

When the art depicts people (other than silhouettes), I feel that there is a certain "stiffness" to it. And yes, there is also the occasional green marine in it.
When it depicts airships, or fragments of airships, and there's no people in there, I like it a lot.

On top of that, I *love* the MouseOvers! So... by all means, keep it! :D
Don't panic... we're on the Titanic.
peterh

Postby stratplans » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:15 am

The perfect is the enemy of the good. In a pinch, I'd rather see a timely update than elaborate art. And if you can just can't make it gel some week, then say so and give us some filler to tide us over. (That's roughly what Pete Abrams has been doing for 10+ years with Sluggy Freelance, after all.)

I quite admire your technical artwork and love the mouseovers and tongue-in-cheek references, like the Transporter. The plot and character development is also a strength. Keep working on the people; maybe a few labor-intensive standard poses can be recycled against different backgrounds, like animation cels. That might be a good way to balance speed against accuracy.

Best wishes for overcoming those old bone breaks you mentioned elsewhere. Keep plugging!
stratplans

Postby stratplans » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:22 am

Belated deleted.
Last edited by stratplans on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
stratplans

Postby stratplans » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:29 am

stratplans wrote:Oh...FWIW, I've always been rather curious about those Kauffman starters that Elleston Trevor used to such dramatic effect in "The Flight of the Phoenix." (Ooo--must check wikipedia!) Maybe that's something for your box of plotty odds 'n' ends?

Drat. According to Wikipedia (admittedly not perhaps definitive) Coffman starters are vintage 30's & 40's. :oops: "Innkeeper--another precocious animated duck, please!"

Oh, well. Now I know! :mrgreen:
stratplans

Postby RobertPlamondon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm

I think a picture of Sarah's parents' wedding feast is in order, or at least a copy of the menu.

"Are you with the bride, the groom, or the feast?"

Robert
"The only thing to fear is fear itself. And women, when they have that look on their face."

Read my Gazis-inspired SF novel, One Survivor: http://www.nortoncreekpress.com/one_survivor.html
RobertPlamondon

Postby Falcon01 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 am

Love to see a view of a fully equiped R.N. airfield station with several airships about.
Falcon01

Postby PaulGazis » Fri May 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Falcon01 wrote:Love to see a view of a fully equipped R.N. airfield station with several airships about.

That''s a great idea! I'd been planning to do a few casual views of parts of RAS Cairns, but a shot of an entire air station could be fun. This would also give me an excuse to show several different classes of ships in one graphic! It will take some time to do a good job, but I'll give it a go. Were you thinking of ground-level perspective or a view from the air, like the one in Episode 12, but covering more of the station and of somewhat better quality?
PaulGazis

Postby Falcon01 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:20 am

I think it would look best from the air, like the R505 was doing a flyover prior to docking possibly?
Falcon01

Postby PaulGazis » Mon May 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Falcon01 wrote:I think it would look best from the air, like the R505 was doing a flyover prior to docking possibly?

An interesting challenge! I'd been considering showing an overhead view with the R-505 on a mooring mast, but I'd never thought of working in an overflight. It'll probably take me several tries to get the perspective to work -- one of the problems with airships is that they're so featureless that it can be hard to handle issues of distance, scale, and size -- but if I can manage to pull it off, it could be a big win. I'll try some preliminary sketches this evening. Keep your fingers crossed, and thanks for the excellent suggestion!

BTW - I already have an episode in mind for this, but it may not happen until sometime after their next visit to Cairns. Stay tuned...
PaulGazis

Next

Return to The Art