Keep on truckin

Is there something you love, something you hate, something you'd like to see? Here's the place to bring it up. And don't forget that Infamous Green Marine.

Keep on truckin

Postby raoullefere » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:15 pm

That is simply awful (and hilarious). :D

But, since you're going for awful, shouldn't he be spinning a watch on its chain in one hand?

(Yes, I remember this image. I never really understood it, though. Why is he truckin', why the pimp outfit…many questions, no answers)

Edit: When I did a search on the image, I couldn't find the one I remember from the early 70's (a man in a pimp outfit, whirling a watch or something like on the end of a chain, in the classic Crumb pose). I must assume it was one of those knock-offs that vanished after Crumb's lawyer asserted Crumb's rights (and, with the help of a judge with a strange view of copyright, got him in dutch with the IRS).
raoullefere

Re: Keep on truckin

Postby peterh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Ha... what with me being a stoopit forrinner, I didn't even now what "trucking" was. So there.';)

Welcome, by the way... and you have a PM. Without preposterous propositions, I might add. I just PM'd you because I felt that bringing up QC or The Useless Broom Made Entirely <ahem> ... would be slightly off-topic in the context of this forum.
Don't panic... we're on the Titanic.
peterh

Postby Kona » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Welcome to the hangar, raoullefere. I recall the heyday of huge artistic murals on vans, and a great rendition of that very image on one, with the motto "Keep on Truckin'". Have been a big fan of R. Crumb, Vaughan Bode and many other underground artists of that renaissance called the 60’s. Perhaps the spinning watch was an adaptation by another artist; I can’t honestly remember. But this month’s graphic is awesome in its own right!
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby peterh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 am

Kona wrote:this month’s graphic

... you mean, this is going to be the only installment in September??!?
*exit stage left, in search of a suitably dark corner to lie down in*
Don't panic... we're on the Titanic.
peterh

Postby Kona » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 pm

peterh wrote:
Kona wrote:this month’s graphic

... you mean, this is going to be the only installment in September??!?
*exit stage left, in search of a suitably dark corner to lie down in*

Uh... Oops? :oops:
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Return to The Art