Could They Ever Return?

Airships!

Re: Could They Ever Return?

Postby Kona » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:44 am

Nice! Looking forward to those flyovers!
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Falcon01 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:49 am

Falcon01

Postby Kona » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Beautiful work! That's quite a tool you've created there. Putting the rendered airship into the landscape makes it a lot more real than the clinical profiles alone.
Kona

Postby Falcon01 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks! It's not so much a tool as the program I make the meshes in, Milkshape3D, uses a nice neutral blue background for it's screen captures which makes it very easy to photoshop your finished mesh into any suitable picture. I use background photos either taken myself or generally available online. The sunset picture needed a little filtering to get the lighting right, and I took both photos using a Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD camera. I will be doing a few more soon, will post the links when done.
Falcon01

Postby PaulGazis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 am

That sunset shot is awesome! Now you need to add a tropical island and a sultry maiden or two :)
PaulGazis

Postby Falcon01 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:50 am

I wasn't able to find any Sultry maidens to pose for me , sigh, but I did find a nice over water picture I modified. Hope you like the newest pics!
http://falcon01.deviantart.com/#/d2w49ds
http://falcon01.deviantart.com/#/d2w49ir
http://falcon01.deviantart.com/#/d2w4ajt

The German Zepplin is still in rough form but I'll polish it up soon and get some shots of them both in flight together for scale.

Enjoy!
Falcon01

Postby asgaard aardvaark » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 am

I was outside yesterday morning, chatting with a neighbor while we were standing by the recycling bins and he suddenly pointed up at the western sky and said, "there it is!" I looked where he was pointing and saw it coming in, head on, from the west. It was large, white and majestic in its silent approach as it cruised serenely over the city. Then, when nearly overhead, it turned northwards and still silent and serene, sailed out of sight.
Whence it came, or whither it was bound I do not know, all I know is it made a beautiful beginning to my day (such ships are rare here in the Pacific Northwest). It looked bigger than the silvered Goodyear ships and had the "Farmer's Insurance" logo on the side. As it passed from sight, I found my voice. "Here passeth the great sky whale," I said. "all bow down in the direction of Akron!"
And then it was gone. For a brief moment, there was wonder and magic in the air and then the world returned to its old, mundane self.
asgaard aardvaark

Postby PaulGazis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 am

asgaard aardvaark wrote:It looked bigger than the silvered Goodyear ships and had the "Farmer's Insurance" logo on the side.

That sounds like the Zeppelin NT, Eureka, that Airship Ventures is basing here at Moffett Field. I just checked their website and it looks like they are indeed advertising Farmer's Insurance at the moment. It is indeed way cool. It's also quite fast -- it passed me on the freeway once, headed upwind! If you can find out where they've set up their mooring mast, you should check it out... keeping in mind that this ship is only 1/3 the length and 1/27th the volume of the Flying Cloud, and has vectored thrust and a steering propeller to facilitate mooring operations. They also do not, as far as I am aware, have anyone like Sarah or Helga on their flight crew. Though one never knows :)

P.S. They also give rides, for something like $3-400. Some day, when I feel affluent...
PaulGazis

Postby Kona » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:19 pm

I’ve mostly lived not far from Long Beach, CA, where the Goodyear blimp has its base of operations. At one point, long, long ago, I was going with a girl I wanted to impress and I looked into the possibility of taking her on a flight. I visited the field and got the info, but before anything came of it, I went into the service and after awhile she got tired of waiting and that went nowhere. But I really enjoyed the idea, and I may still try to do it someday. Fly in the blimp, I mean.
Kona

Postby Mutabilis » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:42 pm

i gave the original question some thought, and came to the conclusion that, no, as disappointing as it is, i can't see any commercial use for the really big airships.

some calculations have been made in this thread that compare operating costs to other modes of transportation. they seem to me wrong mainly in one way: they only compare actually flight time costs. for any commercial transport, be it people or cargo, that is only a small factor. what really needs to be compared is all costs, from construction over maintenance to actual operation, including costs for infrastructure, and hold that against the income it can achieve over it's lifetime. ships and air-planes beat any attempt that is going for regular cargo and passenger transport.

several other ideas have been stated here.
one that seems to have some merit on first glance is the transport of large pieces of machinery over undeveloped and rough terrain to it's destination. question here is: how big is the market and how much costs would have to be covered to service that market?
wouldn't it be cheaper to transport such machinery piece by piece to the destination and assemble it right there?

a flying pleasure cruiser sounds feasible, too. here we run into other problems: how many passengers could it carry, and at what luxury level?
weight restrictions would limit creature comforts in terms of cabin size, sanitation standards and so on. i really can't see many people pay high sums for having sleeper train compartment like accommodations no matter what the sight is.
Mutabilis

PreviousNext

Return to Airships