Could They Ever Return?

Airships!

Re: Could They Ever Return?

Postby Mutabilis » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:39 pm

asgaard aardvaark wrote:And there are few places a C-130 can't go. I have a video of a C-130 making an landing aboard a Forrestal class carrier without using the arrester cables. and an un-assisted takeoff to follow.

actually, that achievement was assisted by a 40 knot wind over the bow of the ship. since that is about half the takeoff speed of the bird, the takeoff roll was reduced to a quarter it's normal length.
Mutabilis

Postby phillies » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:25 am

There is always the Doc Savage solution, a gas with a thousand times the lifting power of hydrogen, permitting armored Zeppelins. There was also the secret plot iirc in TWH of Master of Airships, who plotted to transform the Indian ocean into xenon -- there was also a biowarfare attack to transform all living things so they could survive -- leading to an air that is an order of magnitude or more denser than ours. Materials with vastly more strength than those used in the 20s would help.

You could also move the dirigibles to Jupiter, the other planet in the solar system with a brilliant blue sky, at least if you are at the right altitude. {I have seen photographs.]

Readers interested in dirigible fiction should try to chase down Kapitan Mors, Air Pirate of the Stratosphere. Well, LuftPirate der Stratosphaere.
phillies

Postby Mutabilis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:55 am

phillies wrote:Readers interested in dirigible fiction should try to chase down Kapitan Mors, Air Pirate of the Stratosphere. Well, LuftPirate der Stratosphaere.

speaking of airship fiction, some time back i read a novel called "die wolkenmeister" (the cloud masters) or somesuch. the plot being that after WW3 civilisation is back to early middle age technology, yet a group calling themselves the cloud masters boost advancement by introducing balloons and later airships and the technology to build and support them.

anyone else read that?
Mutabilis

Postby felixS » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Hey

In the late 90is there was an attempt to build a big Airship named Cargolifter. Unfortunately the Company colapsed and the Hangar was used for a holiday resort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CargoLifter

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/cargolifter/

felix
felixS

Postby Kona » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:35 pm

felixS wrote:In the late 90is there was an attempt to build a big Airship named Cargolifter. Unfortunately the Company colapsed and the Hangar was used for a holiday resort.

A shame it hasn’t worked out yet. Hope springs eternal; maybe the next world economic cycle…

I’ve harbored a secret desire to see cargo-carrying sailing ships return to common use. Perhaps if oil becomes hard enough to get, due to environmental and political problems, it could still happen, at least for relatively light and non-perishable goods. I envision multi-masted schooners with computerized, self-furling sails, capable of being manned by small crews to keep labor costs down.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Mutabilis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Kona wrote:I've harbored a secret desire to see cargo-carrying sailing ships return to common use. Perhaps if oil becomes hard enough to get, due to environmental and political problems, it could still happen, at least for relatively light and non-perishable goods. I envision multi-masted schooners with computerized, self-furling sails, capable of being manned by small crews to keep labor costs down.

fuel costs are usually less than 10% of the operating costs. labour costs are about the same. even eliminating both won't get you far.
another problem such vessels will face is the missing infrastructure to load and unload them. most harbour facilities can't handle the masts, and most goods are now shipped in containers anyways.

one niche someone found for sail ships is holiday cruises. though how they compete with the real big motor vessels, i don't now.
Mutabilis

Postby Kona » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:11 am

Bleah. I'm sure you're right, or someone would have tried it by now. Just a romantic notion. I love sailing and the tall ships. Glad I didn't live in those days and have to sail them, though. The stories are rather grim.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Jupiter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 am

There have been trials with using kites as sails on cargo ships, which seemed very promising. That way, there are considerable fuel savings, and no trouble with masts etc during mooring.
Jupiter

Postby Jupiter » Wed May 04, 2011 5:18 pm

I just noticed Goodyear has decided to renew its fleet with German Zeppelin NT's. They're bigger compared to their current blimps, so let's hope that's an ongoing trend :P
Jupiter

Postby ASoriano » Sat May 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Jupiter wrote:I just noticed Goodyear has decided to renew its fleet with German Zeppelin NT's. They're bigger compared to their current blimps, so let's hope that's an ongoing trend :P

Are you implying that bigger is better? :P
ASoriano

PreviousNext

Return to Airships