HALO

Postby Pastor_Mac » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:33 am

Pax,
Pastor Mac
Pastor_Mac

Re: HALO

Postby Jupiter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:52 am

Thanks for the link! Hadn't seen this, but they're nice pictures :p
Looks based on the Aeroscraft platform. I do wonder however how they're planning on lifting/storing a 180ft superyacht? According to my quick calculations and gut feeling, that'd be very unlikely to be doable on neither static or dynamic lift in that configuration, and even using both it would seem unlikely to me, not even considering practical issues like where to leave your excess static lift when you're not carrying the yacht...

EDIT: a 180ft yacht would probably weigh approximately 1.3 million kg (more than twice the maximum take-off weight of an A380) and would thus require 1.3 million cubic meters of variable lifting gas volume just for the yacht alone. Taking into account the mass of storage containers and compressors needed for this, the lift variation system alone will already probably weigh in at a minimum of half this weight, needing at least an additional 0.7 million cubic meter of static lift capacity to compensate. (for reference: the Hindenburg had a total volume of 0.2 million cubic meters)
With regards to the possibility of using vertical thrust, a 180ft yacht would in weight equal the payload capacity of approximately 25-30 of the most powerful helicopters (Mil Mi-12) ever built.
Jupiter

Postby Jupiter » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:33 pm

On the other hand, the guys who made this design do seem to be quite capable designers (http://www.winchdesign.com/news/halo-th ... residence/), having been involved in several highly successful super-yachts and private jets. I'm quite curious to see how they've calculated their masses, as I can´t imagine these guys having done the design without at least some preliminary calculations...

Anyone who has seen or heard more about this or similar other projects recently?
Jupiter

Postby Mutabilis » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:27 am

Mutabilis

Postby Mutabilis » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:22 am

A 180ft yacht (55m waterline length) ranges 300-500 tons. Even warships of similar size (usually classed as corvettes) run under 800 tons, the excess in armor belts.

A purpose design might even be less, as much of the requirements would be taken up by the mothership.
Instead of reducing lift of the mothership, I would replace the weight with ballast. Of course, that means the boat can only be dropped where ballast water is readily available.
Mutabilis

Postby Jupiter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks for the correction! Always nice (or at least useful and educational :P ) to have holes shot in your calculations!

I based my mass calculation partially on another Andrew Winch yacht (Sea Owl), which is a bit larger (62m/203ft), doing a very quick and rough mass estimate based on beam, length and draught data, and I've got the feeling I have apparently misused a factor of 2 somewhere, as well as taken the wrong length (absolute vs waterline :S), as I now arrive at more similar numbers as you mentioned.

Regarding the ballast water, for dropping a ship, this is indeed not a problem (although it is still an awful lot...), but if you'd ever want to be able to use that lifting capacity for anything else without having a large water supply handy, a variable buoyancy system would be nice in my opinion. Also, using water ballast still carries its own penalties (pumps, tanks, structural reinforcements), but these are of course present regardless of what type of solution is chosen.

Regarding the purpose-design-weight-saving: what kind of requirement distribution were you thinking about? As far as I know, this class of owners would prefer the independence of also being able to use both vehicles individually, without suffering any penalties in comfort for it. But then again, I'm not a billionaire with money to spare for a custom yacht of any kind, so I might be wrong on that... :)

Thanks for the link to the ONERA/Massaud thing, it's always nice to see that one again ;)
Jupiter

Postby Mutabilis » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:17 pm

There are certain facilities that don't need to be duplicated, providing the boat and mothership are deployed together, or at least in close proximity.
Other weight savings come from structural simplifications. The boat wouldn't need to ride out storms, for which it would simply be lifted and carried off to safety.

The question here is to find a suitable compromise, as too much weight in the launch would necessitate reductions in the mothership.

All in all, we're not talking about a general cargo carrier, we're talking about an airborne luxury ship, one of the luxuries of which, is a to have a large boat for surface trips.
Mutabilis

Postby Mutabilis » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:16 pm

On another note:
An airship that dropping out of the sky to replenish 10% or so of it's lifting gas volume would prolly eat up storage and production of several days worth of a gas plant in a fair sized industry region. Away from industrialized regions, it would be like a big dinosaur drinking waterholes dry in the dessert.
If any can be had at all.
Mutabilis

Postby Jupiter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 am

Yes, support infrastructure will probably be a bit of an issue when operating out of unprepared areas. Using hydrogen instead of or combined with helium might relieve that problem somewhat (easier to produce on-site), but will probably cause some other difficulties. Also, finding a final assembly/storage location might prove tricky.
Jupiter

Postby Mutabilis » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:54 am

Another problem a big airship like this would face is being a high profile target for terrorism.
The Airship itself as well as the patrons, as only the richest can afford a stay there.
Mutabilis

Return to Airships