Airships in Fact and Fiction.

Airships!

Airships in Fact and Fiction.

Postby PaperCraft120 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Hello all-Ive always been a LTA fan since seeing 'Zeppelin' as a kid-[The WW1 Movie w Micheal York abt Fictional raid on UK ]
And then 'Slide Rule'-[Non Fiction Biographical]-by Neville Shute and his work on the R 101 in the 1930s UK.
And so-being an LTA Fan and a -sometimes- Papercraft model fan, i keep an eye out for any like subjects.
Several of the German Card kit -cardstock- model companys have already printed Airship template models you can buy.
However-there are a few that are free to download and print yourself from on line Hobbyist. And generally won't kill your Ink cartridges.
I'll attach some of what i've found here and there on the 'net.
The Forum post for fact & Fiction-I was curious what else has been read by anyone else? I know Airships are a big part of the 'Steam punk'
RPG Gamer's adventures and the Crimson skies PC/ 1:300 scale [?] Aircraft game.
I recall reading one of the 'Doc Savage' Paperbacks -40 odd years ago-and reprints from the 1930s Originals then, that had a cameo of a TransAtlantic Pax
Airship in it.[ Back when they-like,Moored at the Empire State Bldg.s mast in the Books]
Walt Disney had a movie from the 1960'son a fictional French Aeronaut and his Semi-Ridgid AS going on an Adventure to a lost arctic -somewhere...
- but the title escape's me at the moment.
Attachments
Amazon.com_Airborn_eBook_Kenneth_Oppel_Kindle_Store_-_2017-06-27_13.15.41.jpg
A book series for YA that i found via Rocket-Man-Tans Airship Papercraft.
Amazon.com_Airborn_eBook_Kenneth_Oppel_Kindle_Store_-_2017-06-27_13.15.41.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 428 times
PaperCraft120

Re: Airships in Fact and Fiction.

Postby Kona » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 pm

I remember seeing “Zeppelin” in the theater, probably because it had Elke Sommer, who I had a huge crush on. However, it didn’t make a big impression on me, probably because it wasn’t that good of a story. The scene I remember most was one of a German Zeppelin above the clouds being guided by a spotter hanging from a long cable. At least I think that was the movie. There was also “Fraulein Doktor” which had a lot of scenes like that.

A good book about airships and things of that nature is “Leviathan” by Scott Westerfield. It’s supposed to be for “young adults”, but I enjoyed it very much. The following two books in the series, “Behemoth” and “Goliath” felt a little stretched, but still good. It’s also an alternate history of World War I, with some good actual history to extrapolate from.

My favorite Nevil Shute book was “Trustee From the Tool Room”, although it was about sailing and model railroading, not airships.

The Disney movie you’re thinking of was probably “The Island at the Top of the World”, 1974. I never saw it, but now I’m thinking of trying to find it.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby Sarge » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 am

I just finished "The Guns Above" by Robyn Bennis. It's her first novel, a steampunk tale of the first woman in her world to command an airship in a war zone. I enjoyed it. Snappy dialog between interesting characters, lots of exciting action scenes, and here's the unusual part: she really understands airships! Most of the steampunk I've read, they either gloss over the details of airships (unsatisfying) or get them wrong (aggravating). This story gets it right.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. -Psalm 139
Sarge

Location: Wakefield Massachusetts when I can't be in Harrison Maine

Postby Kona » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Awesome, I'll have to check it out. I confess to not knowing much about airships until I met "The Flying Cloud", so I wouldn't know when an author is getting some details wrong. If it was about sailing or historic railroads, I'd be on firmer ground. But steampunk is good, very good.
The tide is out; please leave a message.
Kona

Postby PaperCraft120 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 pm

big_western_shipping_co__by_the_necromancer-d35mfro.jpg
A screen cap from one of DevA site users
big_western_shipping_co__by_the_necromancer-d35mfro.jpg (254.34 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Thanks for the Feedback! "Island At The Top Of The World"-That was it! And now I remember seeing one of HG wells books of the Mad Scientist-['Nemo of the Skies'?] made as a 1960s film starring Vincent Price as the Ships Captain. IIRC it also had a Very young Charles Bronson in it.The Air ship had more Rotors top side than a squadron of Helicopters! The Steam Punk Airships-There is a short Fan made -Hope it'll be a movie-trailer on YT with a Female CO of one of The Factions Sky fleets. Rather weel made if I recall.
Check out the 'Deviant Art ' web page-look up Steam punk and Airships-some cool art covering Actual LTA and fictional.
I recall seeing Fraulein Doctor decade's agoooo as a kid. Don't remember the Zeppelin but do recall she was a German spy in Paris and her testing Gas on the unfortunate dogs.
There is a silent movie out-[a clip on YT]-of a Young Lieutenant on a Zeppelin over London-he's -somewhat reluctantly-in the Air car/basket directing Aiming when the Ship has altitude issues' and statrs to go below clouds. Bad news for the' Louie when the Zepp. has to get rid of weight Fast to get back into clouds away from the Searchlights. It may have been a post WW1 German film?
Thanks for Feedback -I think I'll also have to look up the Disney film.
PaperCraft120

Postby PaperCraft120 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:05 pm

A quick follow on- You can find a Card stock model of the 'Norge' italian Polar attempt Airship at the Fiddelers Green.net page.
PaperCraft120

Return to Airships